Sunday, October 30, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Epilogue, Sunday 10/30

I woke this morning and had no where to go.  While I'm really glad to be home, there is a bit of an empty feeling.  I have no journey to plan for the day.

Total states visited: 20
Total days for the trip: 65
Total miles traveled: 11,530
Total value of the trip: PRICELESS!!

The following is a very random collection of thoughts from the trip.

The bed in the camper is comfortable, but my bed at home is REALLY, REALLY comfortable.

I stepped on the scales and I lost 5 or 6 pounds.  Maybe it was the exercise of walking Zoey, or not snacking on junk food, or just maybe its because I'm a lazy cook.  Often I would be tired at the end of the day and instead of taking the effort to make a nice meal, I would just grab a peanut butter sandwich.

There are nice people everywhere.  If you extend a warm smile, nine times out of ten you will get one in return.

I was surprised and amazed at the number of Europeans touring the National Parks of the United States.  Many of them were young couples in rented Class C RV's.  The ones I talked to just can't get over how beautiful our country is.

Get off the Interstate Highways now and then.  You will see and learn so much more.

A list of miscellaneous attractions that I visited:
     - Had a drink in the oldest bar in the state of Washington
     - Shopped in the oldest pharmacy in the state of California
     - Visited the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere
     - Drove through the highest automobile tunnel in the United States
     - Stood at the Geographic Center of the lower 48 states

Life is more fun when you can share it.  That is one of the reasons I wrote this travel blog.  I want to thank all of you who commented on the blog, sent texts, emailed, commented on Facebook, or just called on the phone.  That interaction was really appreciated, especially when you are so far from home.

Finally, always travel with a dog.  Its even better if they are a blonde Golden Retriever.  They are the worlds greatest social lubricant.

Lets see, where do I want to go next................

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dad. You should plot your 65 day 11k mile course in a google map marking your routes and stays. That would be a neat image to see!!

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.