Saturday, October 22, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 58, Saturday, 10/22

130 miles, and camped at the KOA in Grand Junction, Colorado.  I'm getting closer to home.


Well, Murphy's Law kicked in today.  If something can go wrong, it will.  My sister-in-law Karen woke this morning to a red, swollen and extremely painful leg.  A week ago at her daughter's wedding she cut her shin and had to have a few stitches.  She has been nursing it along, but this morning it appeared infected.  I logged on the internet and looked for a local urgent care facility.  I discovered that Moab has a hospital and emergency room.  So by 7:30 AM we were on our way. The GPS led me right to it.  Gotta love technology.

About two hours later, after a couple tests and a dose of IV antibiotics, Karen was discharged.  Sure enough she has an infection and has to see a medical facility of some sort every two days to be checked.  That was reason enough for her to decide to fly home.  After a torrent of texts and cell phone calls her daughter Jaci arranged a flight. Gotta love technology some more. Her flight leaves 7:30 Sunday morning from Grand Junction, and thus we are camped there.  The airport is about 20 minutes from the campground.

Karen had to get her prescription filled, which took awhile.  Then she had to buy some luggage to pack her things in.  Then we stopped at Arches Nation Park Visitor Center for some last minute shopping.  The drive took us from the fantastic red rock formations of Moab to the dry desert of  the Western Slope of Colorado.


So the plan for visiting Mesa Verde National Park went down the drain. I have been there before, and I was excited for Karen to see it.  But this is all part of the adventure, and now Zoey and I are back to living by ourselves again after tonight.  Karen and I had a "Last Supper" of grilled wild salmon, baked potatoes and broccoli.


I guess my plan now is to keep driving east.  I'll probably aim for the Kansas border by Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.