Thursday, October 20, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 56, Thursday 10/20

353 miles, and camped in Moab, Utah at the KOA.  I'm one time zone closer to home.  Mountain Time Zone here, so I'm only two hours different from time at home.  :-)


I don't think I have ever traveled a day with so many different changes in landscapes.  We went from desert, to valley farms to red rock formations.  Every turn in the road brought something different.  We went east on I-40 from Williams to Flagstaff.  Then north on 89, then east on 160 to Kayneta.  Then we took 163 through Monument Valley to Bluff, Utah.  Then it was 191 to Moab. By the end of the day, I was closer to home and in a time zone that is only two hours different from home, rather than three.

A good share of the drive took us through the Navajo Reservation.  In fact, we stopped to shop at a artisan cooperative when when I had to get diesel fuel.  The Monument Valley drive took us through some fantastic rock formations.  I'm in awe about how they were formed.





I am gradually adjusting to sharing the camper with another human.  Zoey and I are so used to having it to ourselves. but the adjustment has been positive.  Traveling is so much more fun when you can share it.  The system we have developed is that Karen shares the Queen bed with Zoey and the infamous tailgate from my truck.  I get the dinette convertible bed.  It is working really well.  I wake earlier, so I can make coffee and surf the internet without waking Karen.  Best of all, Karen organizes all the meals.  Instead of the beans and franks that I would usually prepare, I now get pork loin, chicken breast and steak along with baked potatoes and real vegetables.  :-)

Friday we are off to explore Arches National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.