Friday, October 7, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 43, Friday 10/7

170 miles, and camped at the Lake Isabella KOA, near Weldon, California


I had a short driving day today.  I left Lyndsay's place about 8:30 in the morning and I arrived at the KOA about 12:30.  I took one last look at the Sequoia National Park on the way out.  The high peaks were covered in snow.


I managed to take a beautiful stretch of road through the Sequoi National Forest that started out as typical foothills topography, then climbed to over 4,000 feet, and then dropped sharply down to the reservoir  called Lake Isabella. The road down to Isabella featured a 13% downgrade.  I don't ever recall having seen a grade that steep before.




Since I'm going to stay here for a few days, I took the camper off the truck.  Later in the afternoon, I took Zoey for a walk at the Audubon Kern River Preserve just up the road.

I have the most wonderful neighbors here.  One young couple is from San Diego.  They have a little boy about six, and they are camping in a tent.  The father is originally from Michigan, and he was ecstatic that the Detroit Tigers beat the Yankees last night.  The other young couple is from New Zealand.  They have two young children, probably about five and three.  They have been away from home for over five months now.  They spent two months in South Africa, then a month in England, and now are in their third and final month in the US.  They bought a used Jeep and a used pop up camper back in Virginia, and they have been camping their way across the country.  When they get to LA, they will sell the car and camper.  I so admire their spirit.

Saturday I'm heading to Death Valley National Park for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.