Monday, October 3, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 39, Monday 10/3

142 miles, camped in the driveway of Lyndsay Belt's employee housing duplex at Sequoia National Park. Lyndsay is a former student of mine at Potsdam High School. By the way, let the world know that Verizon "can NOT hear me now." But I have three bars of 3G At&T on my iPad, so all my posting for the next few days will be from the iPad. :-)


It only took about three hours to get to Sequoia. The worse part of the drive was the 40 miles or so south on Highway 99. Interstate 5 and California 99 pretty much parallel each other, and run north - south right through the middle of the Central Valley in California. They are both busy, busy roads.

I got to the Park Visitor Center about 2:30. Lyndsay is working in the Fire Management Office right near the Visitor Center. I hunted her up, even though I was early, just to say Hi. She had to work late, but said to stop back after 4:30 when the busiest part of the day is over. In the meanwhile Zoey and I took a couple of short drives into the park, along with a couple of short walks.


We connect back with Lyndsay about 5:00. Her job is dispatcher for the fire crews. She uses very sophisticated computer programs. Kinda reminds me of an air traffic controller. She has to account for every person on a fire crew, including helicopters, and log when they are off the fire. That way no one goes missing. Lot's of responsibility and very cool!!


I set the camper up at her place about 7:00 PM. She just texted me an said she should be home by 8:00. Long day for her when she starred at 7:00 this morning.

She has Tuesday off, so she is acting as my tour guide. Can't wait.......

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.