Thursday, October 20, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 55, Wednesday 10/19

142 miles, and camped at Grand Canyon KOA, near Williams, Arizona


Unbelievable, indescribable, awesome, OMG, incredible, phenomenal, humbling!!  I don't know, I probably missed a few of the ways to describe the Grand Canyon.  Anyway, the pictures I took can't begin to do justice to what you really see.

But, back to the beginning of the day.  I awoke to to 33 degree temperatures this morning.  That's the first time in over a week I've had to deal with chilly morning temperatures.  Palm Springs and Tucson mornings were in the 60's.  I've gotten spoiled.  Now I know why so many of my friends decided to retire to Tucson.

My sister-in-law Karen and I left the campground by 7:00 and we arrived in the Grand Canyon National Park by 8:00.  The air was crisp and cool.  The parking lots were nearly empty.  Mather Point was the first stop as it is right near the Visitor Center.  The first view you see as you walk up the sidewalk is jaw dropping.  You have no advance warning.  It just shows up as you cross over the rise in the walkway, and it takes your breath away. I think anyone who has seen the Grand Canyon for the first time will agree. Karen was beside herself.


Karen took the shuttle busses for some tours, while I decided to take Zoey for a three mile walk along the western end of the south rim.  Karen and I decided to meet later and we took a driving tour along the eastern end of the south rim.  I guess I'll let the pictures tell the story, as best they can.








I'll end with a couple of pictures of a happy dog and a tired dog.



Thursday we head to Moab, Utah..........

1 comment:

  1. Did water, wind and time really do all that? The photos remind me of some of the footage from the 1991 movie, "Grand Canyon." Never been there...still on my Bucket List. Good Journey...

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.