Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 41, Wednesday, 10/5

81 miles, and still camped at Lyndsay's place near Sequoia NP.

Heavy rain, wind, thunder, lightning. That was the order of the day. The weather forecast for today had been rain, and they were right. In fact there was snow in the high mountains this morning. That may close some of the roads and affect my travel plans. I'll have to wait and see.



The truck needed an oil change and standard service work, so I drove the 40 miles or so to Visalia, down in the Valley. Two hundred dollars later I was home.

Lyndsay left today for her brother's wedding in Vermont this weekend, but she let me stay in her driveway and plugged in to her electricity. I'm hoping the weather will break Thursday. The National Weather Service says it will definitely improve by Friday. I still want to get back into Sequoia National Park to see the trees in nice weather.

On the trip to Visalia, I stopped at Lake Kaweah Reservoir. It was huge, and it was very low. I asked one of the guys fishing there about the lake level. He said this is normal. The reservoir was constructed to collect winter snow melts to then disperse it to the Valley farmers all summer long.


Depending on the weather, I may camp at one of the primitive sites in Sequoia Thursday or Friday night. I probably won't have cell service there. After that, I plan to spend a few days in Joshua Tree National Park later this weekend and the first of next week.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.