Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 54, Tuesday, 10/18

308 miles, and camped at the KOA in Williams, Arizona.


Boy, is the weather ever cooler in Williams than Tucson.  Driving up I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix the thermometer hit 94.  By the time we parked in Williams, the temperature was a pleasant 71.  The difference? Mostly elevation.  Williams is 6,766 feet above sea level, while Tucson is 2,389.  We have driven from desert to pine forest.


I can't begin to express how much fun Karen and I had with Max and Kristin.  They are a neat young couple who have their act together.  I though I'd show a few photos of how they have landscaped their home in the desert.  It's called xeriscaping, which means utilizing plants that minimize or eliminate the need for irrigated water.  They have no grass to water or mow.  They collect rainwater to water herbs, tomatoes and the few shrubs.   They have created seating areas that maximize the limited shade and the spectacular views.  I'm envious.








On Wednesday, Zoey, Karen and I are exploring Grand Canyon National Park........

1 comment:

  1. Dave! Thanks for such thoughtful words. Max and I had a great time with you, Karen, and Zoey. You know you always have a place to park in Tucson!! Come back soon so we can go back to Barrio! Safe travels and hugs to Karen and Zoey.

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.