Sunday, October 9, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 45, Sunday 10/9

107 miles and still camped at Lake Isabella KOA.

Zoey and I went for an early morning walk and caught the sunrise.  The campground borders on Forest Service land, so there are trails to walk.


I decided to take a mini road trip today.  Just north of here about an hour of so is a grove of Sequoia trees that are on National Forest Land, instead of National Park Land.  Zoey is allowed on Forest Service Land trails.   I took a wonderful drive up the Kern River Valley to the grove.  Unfortunately, the hiking trail through the grove was closed due to wind damage.  However, I saw roadside trees, and the drive was fun.  Zoey and I did stop at a few places for short hikes.




Back in Kernville, which is at the north end of Lake Isabella, I took Zoey to the shores of lake for a swim.  The Forest Service controls most of the lake shore so it is undeveloped and open to the general population.  According to the local Chamber of Commerce literature, Lake Isabella is the largest freshwater lake in California.


Since I had the time, I made a gourmet dinner (at least in my eyes) of grilled pork loin, baked potato, and grilled peppers.  I think I'm ready for Iron Chef competition.  :-)


Monday I head to the Joshua Tree National Park area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.