Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 62, Wednesday 10/26

242 miles, and camped at Buck Creek State Park, Springfield, Ohio.  I'm finally back in the Eastern Time Zone!!


Well, as of today the road trip is basically over.  Tonight is the last night I camp in a strange place.  From here I spend two days at Matt's in West Virginia and then two days at Justin's in Queensbury, NY and then home.  I'm both sad and excited.  I will be really glad to be home to see friends and family.  On the other hand, this trip has been a real adventure.  I've met new people, seen new places, and pushed the envelope on my comfort level. When I left on August 26th, I could not imagine staying on the road for 60 plus days.  Now I wonder where all those days went.

Today's travel was uneventful.  I ran Interstate 70 the entire way.  It was busy, crowed, and not at all relaxing.  The major interstate highways have turned into the equivalent of railroad tracks for tractor trailers.  I'm not complaining, just saying.  I'll bet two-thirds of the traffic was truck traffic.  I did a quick bit of research on the net, and this Iowa study says a lot.  I don't know what the answer is.  As the world population approaches seven billion, more "stuff" will have to be moved.  Some of the "stuff" we need, some we do not.  Speaking of stuff, here is a great link I used to use in class about "The Story of Stuff."  Sorry, I'm getting on my soap box again.  About this time my students would be groaning, "there he goes again."  :-)

On another note, someone I met earlier on this trip asked me I could travel alone without a dog.  I think the answer is no.  We humans are social creatures.  We need companionship.  We need to care. Zoey has been a great traveling partner.  Of all the travelers I have met, more travel with a dog than do not.  Some go overboard in my opinion, and have three or four of them.  Zoey has been a social lubricant.  I can't tell you how many people have come up and asked if they could pet her.  She insists that I go for walk a couple times a day.  I have to roll the window down when I slow down for a city or village.  She never complains about my driving or making a wrong turn,  And, last of all, I talk to her while we are riding in the truck.  Relax, I'm not going crazy.  You dog lovers will know what I'm talking about.


OK, that's enough rambling.  On to see Matt, Jaime, Chasen and Kaylin Thursday...........

1 comment:

  1. This last photo of your traveling companion reminded me of a song line from the Wizard of Oz.

    Paraphrasing the cowardly lion and "thinking" for Zoey:

    "If I were king of the campground..."

    You mean, he's NOT? :-) Welcome East, Dave!

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.