Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 61, Tuesday 10/25

406 miles, and camped at Lincoln Trail State Park near Marshall, Illinois.  I'm about ten miles from returning to the Eastern Time Zone.  In fact, my phone thinks it is already in the Eastern Zone even though I'm not.  Lincoln Trail State Park appears to have about 100 campsites.  Would you believe there is only one other campsite occupied in addition to mine?


Zoey and I started the day with a nice long walk around the lake at Wallace State Park.  A good share of the leaves were still on the trees and the color was beautiful.  I have completely missed the fall colors at home, so this walk is probably the closest I'll get to experiencing them this year.


The weather is unusually warm today.  That is due to a very strong southerly wind.  By strong, I mean 20 to 30 miles per hour.  I had to really hang on to the steering wheel as the wind buffeted the truck.  For a good share of the day I was driving due east, and the wind was coming from the due south.  The temperature hit 82 on the truck thermometer.

I crossed the Mississippi River today.  The river is the border between Missouri and Illinois.


The drive today is the total opposite from my last drive here.  When I traveled through Illinois two months ago, the fields were lush with corn and soybean.  The trees were green and in full leaf.  Now, the fields are bare.  Most of the leaves have fallen.  Part of me knows that things are good because the fall harvest is complete and the farmers have started to till the fields in preparation for next year.  But from a visual point of view, life has gone from vibrant to dormant.  Pretty soon the snow and cold wind will take over.


It seems like the harvest season in Illinois is pretty much done, while the harvest in Kansas is still going full blast.  Maybe is is because Kansas is hotter and drier.  I don't know why, but after driving across both states the contrast is obvious.

I avoided the interstate highways most of the day.  The GPS did take me down some side roads.  However, the side roads in Illinois are long and open.  I got see so much more.  I really enjoyed it.

Wednesday I'll keep drifting east.  I plan to be at my son Matt's home in West Virginia by Thursday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.