Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Wednesday 10/24

331 miles, camped at White River Campground, Cicero, Indiana.  White River Campground is a county owned park.  This is the first I have camped at a County Park.  It is nicer than some State parks I have been in.  It is a beautiful campground on the White River that is at most, 10% full.

Eldridge, Iowa to Cicero, Indiana.

Site 66, White River Campground.
White River running along the campground.

View of the mostly empty campground.

My friend Steve retired just about one year ago from John Deere.  I caught a glimpse of his retirement toy today.  While I bought a tractor to play with, he bought a Harley.  I'm jealous!    He rides quite often, going out for three to five hour rides.  He has discovered roads and places he never knew existed in the 12 years he has lived in Eldridge.


The mandatory photo we take every time, in front of the fireplace.

Steve's Harley Davidson motorcycle.  I'm drooling.  :-))

Zoey and I got on the road about 8:30.  We were just in time.  President Obama was making an appearance in Davenport this morning.  As I was driving through Davenport, the police were starting to shut certain roads.  Had I been an hour later, I'd probably still be sitting in a traffic jam.

After the previous two days of clouds and rain, today was glorious with a sunny sky and temperatures in the high 70's.  A real Indian Summer day.  At some point, I spotted four, small roadside signs, much like the old Burma Shave signs from days past.  In order, they read:

  • Urban sprawl
  • Ain't very pretty
  • Save our farms
  • Build in the city
I thought it was quite cute and creative.  Sure beats all the political signs I've been seeing.

I drove Interstate 74 most of the day.  The last 50 miles to the campground were on two lane roads.  Most of the corn has been harvested.  There are some fields left to do, but rain the previous couple of days has grounded the combines.  Wind towers are a common sight out here.  I think they are a beautiful sight, especially when they are turning.  I know some people think they are an eyesore, but I find them fascinating.

Wind towers.

And more wind towers.

Here are a couple of photos from the two lane road.

Harvested fields.

Corn yet to be harvested.

This is the last night that Zoey and I camp alone at a strange campground.  I have enjoyed meeting new people, but it will also be nice to see familiar faces.  Tomorrow, Thursday I catch up with Matt and Jaime in West Virginia again.  I can't wait to see Chasen and Kaylin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.