Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Tuesday 10/2

258 miles, camped at  Olympia Campground in Olympia, Washington.

Bickleton, WA to Olympia, WA

Site 13, Olympia Campground

Katie left for work about 7:15.  I packed up, played with her dog Ani, and left by 8:00.  Since I was going by the school, I stopped in to say good bye again and rile up the class.  It was fun.  She was getting ready give a quiz to her Biology class, so I looked at it and feigned incomprehension.  I had them convinced that the quiz was ten times harder than it was.  Boy, I really miss teaching.

The goal today was to visit Mt. Rainier National Park and end up camping somewhere near Olympia.  Part of the plan came true.  But first things first.  I drove through more wheat fields as I left Bickleton.  I think this is beautiful country.  It is also dry country.  A report on a local radio station said that region has gone 77 days without rain, and none is expected in the next 15 days.  You don't hear that on generic satellite radio.  :-)


As I drove over the final pass, I saw the Yakima River Valley in front of me.  WOW!!  The valley is noted for grapes, fruit trees, and hops.  All of these crops are supported by various types of irrigation from the Yakima River.

Looking down on the Yakima Valley

Grape vines.  Look real hard, and Mt. Rainier is almost dead center in the photo.

Hops growing frames.  Almost 80% of the US hops are grown here.

Apple and pear trees.

After leaving the Yakima Valley, the road leads uphill into the Cascade Mountains, of which Mt. Rainier is a member.




Soon, I came to a bend in the road, and wow, there is Mt. Rainier in front of you.  I'm not even in the park yet and the mountain is awesome.  I can't wait to get closer.

Zoey was impressed, until a squirrel ran by.

Zoomed in view.

So far so good, but then "stuff" happens.  The two C's kicked in, clouds and construction.  My plan was to drive across the entire southern part of Mt. Rainier National Park on Rt. 706.  I especially wanted to visit an area called Paradise, which supposedly holds the record as the snowiest place on earth and offers spectacular views of Mt. Rainier.  However, construction was taking place on that road.  There was up to a 30 minute wait because of one way traffic, and the road was closed part way in.  You would have to wait, drive in 10 miles or so, turn around and drive out and perhaps wait for another 30 minutes on the one way traffic again.  On top of that, the clouds were coming in, and the construction crew said that visibility was only 100 yards in spots.  Soooo, I decided to cancel Mt. Rainier.  It will have to wait for another trip.  But I did get to get a glimpse at the mountain, and I'll be back.

I continued on to Olympia, Washington and found a campground, settled in and grilled up dinner.  On Wednesday we are tackling Olympic National Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.