Thursday, October 18, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Wednesday 10/17

502 miles, and camped at Red Mountain View RV Park in Kremmling, Colorado.  Kremmling is at 7,300 above sea level.  Unlike the lower elevations, all the leaves are gone from the deciduous trees here.

Delta, Utah to Kremmling, Colorado

Red Mountain View RV Park

Zoey and I got an early start this morning.  We left the campground about 7:00.  The sun wasn't up yet.  There was just a golden glow on the horizon.

Leaving Delta, Utah with dawn on the horizon.

The Loneliest Road, Rt. 50, soon joined Interstate 70.  In fact, in many places, I-70 replaces Rt. 50.  Generally, I'm not a fan of Interstate Highways unless I'm in a hurry to get from point A to point B.  However, Interstate 70 is an exception.  The views from I-70 while crossing the Great Basin of Utah and the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are SPECTACULAR!!  I'll let the pictures describe the views, although they look even better in person.







The truck need an oil change, so I found a Walmart in Grand Junction, Colorado.  As we dropped down into Grand Junction, the aspen and oak trees along the Colorado River were in full color.  I was in Grand Junction at almost this same time last year when I had to take Karen, my sister in law, to the airport.


The folks at Walmart got me right in.  An hour later we were back on the road.  My goal is to camp in Kremmling, which lies on the east side of Rocky Mountain National Park.  The views climbing the Rockies was absolutely beautiful.  There was snow on the road sides at Vail Summit Pass.



Sharing the narrow canyon with a coal train.


Snow at Vail Summit Pass

We arrived at the campground about 5:30 to a cold, 45 degree blowing wind.  Seeing snow at Vail reminded me to check the road conditions for Rocky Mountain National Park.  Damn!!!  The Trail Ridge Road, which is the only way to cross the park, closed yesterday because of snow.  The recorded message on the park service phone said the road would be remain closed until May.  Now for plan B.  Guess I'll have to plot another way over the Rockies to get to Fort Collins.  Oh well, that's all part of the adventure.  :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.