Monday, October 22, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Monday 10/22

295 miles: camped at the KOA in West Omaha, Nebraska.


Swanson Reservoir to West Omaha, Nebraska.

Site 37, West Omaha KOA.

There was a glorious sunset over Swanson Reservoir last night after I finished writing the blog.

Sunset at Swanson Reservoir.

So, after 47 days on the road, I finally had a boring, non adventures one.  :-))  The primary reason is the weather.  For the first time on my trip, I never saw blue sky.  In fact, there was fog and misty rain most of the day.  I managed to avoid the interstate highways the entire day.  I drove US Rt. 6 the entire day, even through the city of Lincoln, Nebraska.  I had the time, and I enjoyed the slower pace and the views.  However, the mist and fog sure "dampened" the day.

Railroad cars waiting to filled at a grain elevator.

Fog and excess grain stored in outdoor piles.

Beef cattle grazing corn stalks.

Thicker fog.

I did learn a lot from the local radio stations, however.  I learned which feed additive to use when you graze your livestock on corn fields after they have been combined, a common practice out here.  I learned which vaccination to use to prevent BRD (bovine respiratory disease) on your livestock.  I even learned that you can get an option for your irrigation system where you can control the timing and amount of water applied from your iPad or smart phone.  What's next?

I drove by at least two ethanol plants.  They were huge, and grain trucks were lined up entering them.  I have to say, I have a problem using a food crop to produce automobile fuel.  It's questionable whether there is even a net energy gain in the production of the fuel.  But I'm sure the corn farmers are benefiting from the increased demand for corn.

Zoey and I plan to spend Tuesday night in Eldridge, Iowa with former high school classmates Steve and Elizabeth Randall.  The weather forecast is calling for mostly cloudy and temps in the mid 70's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.