Saturday, September 24, 2011

Retirement Road Trip: Days 28 and 29, Thursday and Friday 9/22 and 9/23

334 miles total for the two days.  Camped at Mattole Beach Thursday night and parked at my sister Karen Sipher's house in Oakland, California Friday night.



I left the Riverwalk RV Park about  9:00.  My plan was to camp Thursday night at Mattole Beach.  This campground is small with only 15 sites and no services.   It is a part of the King Range National Conservation Area and is managed by the Bureau of Land management.

First, I had to get there.  There are two choices, a northern route and a southern route.  The shortest option was to drive in from the north and leave by the south.  In hindsight, I was lucky with my choice because I think the best views of the ocean was from the northern route. After crossing the historic (it turned 100 this summer) Fernbridge.  It is listed on the California Historical Landmarks.


The Victorian village of Ferndale was my first stop.  This small village of 1400 people supports an extensive collection of very well preserved Victorian homes and shops.  In fact, the oldest pharmacy in California is located here.


In addition to tourism, there is a strong dairy farm influence here.  The area is noted for high quality cheese.  Most of the cows I saw were Jerseys and were they were grazing on pasture.

From Ferndale, the campground is about a 35 mile steep and winding drive with very narrow roads and hairpin turns.  But the view of the Pacific Ocean is stunning when you break over the crest of the Coastal Range Mountains.


As I said, the campground has 15 sites, separated from the ocean by only a sand dune.  From my camper door, it was a two minute walk to the ocean.  This area of California is called The Lost Coast.  Because of its steepness, remote location, and geo-technical challenges, a major highway was never built here, leaving it the longest portion of the California coast to remain undeveloped.






Friday morning I left Mattole Beach via the southern route, which took me through Redwood State Park.




The road out was just as narrow, hilly, and twisty as the one in.  I eventually got back to Highway 101.  I made good time so I called Karen to tell her I would arrive about 5:00 PM instead of Saturday morning. Of course that means I would get to experience another cultural immersion called "Oakland Afternoon Rush Hour."  Eight lanes of wall to wall vehicles!!  Sorry, no pictures of the rush hour.  My hands were too tightly clenched to the steering wheel to pick up the camera.  :-))

Guess that's all for now.........

4 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I didn't know nothing about the Lost Cost and did never imagine that such a lonely region could exist along the West Coast. What a curious place! The kind of wild place that make you think deeper about the meaning of our life on earth (I felt that mood in particular on IMG_1935...)
    Anyway, Zoey seems to appreciate the landscape a lot ;-)
    I Keep in touch...
    Thierry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thierry,

    I had never heard of the Lost Coast until a couple of years ago when my son Cory hiked a 25 mile section of it. It's great that such areas still exist. The photo you mention was taken near sunset.

    Thanks for following along,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have "Redwood envy." It has been a very long time since my visit to the Forest. Something sacred about the place isn't there? Time has a whole new meaning.

    Good Journey...

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, you are absolutely right about the Redwoods. It is almost mystical walking among them. They are so tall and so old. I can't wait to see the Giant Sequoia trees as well.

    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.