Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 34, Wednesday, 9/28

199 miles and camped at South Yosemite KOA in Coarsegold, California.  It is extremely dry here.  In fact, campfires are forbidden.


Short day today.  I left Karen and Bob about 9:30 in the morning, which was late enough to miss the worst of the rush hour.  However, there were still a lot of freaking vehicles out there.  :-)

I basically traveled from Oakland east to Manteca, then south on Highway 99 to just past Merced, then east to Coarsegold.  The forty mile section from Merced to Coarsegold was on a winding, two lane country road that was very enjoyable.  The first 150 miles of today's trip were on crazy four lane (sometimes eight lane) interstates.  My rather unscientific assessment of central California is that there are too many cars, too many people and too much litter.  Yet by the time I was ten miles off the interstate, it was a completely different world of fewer people and slower traffic.  So maybe it's a good thing that all the people are concentrated in the cities.  It leaves the countryside more peaceful.  However, I'm afraid that is changing.  There are building lot for sale signs everywhere.  Maybe, like John Muir's home, if I were to come back here one one hundred years from now, the rural countryside would be unrecognizable.  I hope not!

The two lane road led me east into the Sierra Mountain foothills.


I chose Coarsegold to camp because it seems like a good midpoint between Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks.  I didn't want to move every day.  Besides, if I'm in one place for a few days, I can take the camper off the truck and it will be much easier to travel on the park roads with a lighter weight truck.  I'm hoping to spend three or four days in each park, so I may be anchored here for a week.  That's OK.  I have good cell service, the campground is not at all crowed, and there are lots of places for Zoey to run.

Thursday, I tackle Yosemite........

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.