Friday, September 16, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 21, Thursday 9/15

0 miles, still camped at Cory's.

This morning was catch up time.  I did three loads of laundry, and reorganized the new camper.  I had a system with the old camper where I know where everything was.  Now I have to start all over.  And I have one additional problem.  I'm sleeping with a truck tailgate.  Seriously.  With the old camper, the tailgate was left on the truck and used as a porch.  The new camper has a built in porch, and thus the tailgate has to be removed from the truck.  It's way too expensive to ship it home or buy a new one.  The only place in the whole unit where it will fit is on the queen bed in the camper.  So, now the bed is divided into thirds.  The tailgate gets a third, Zoey gets a third, and I get the rest.  Cory helped me to wrap it in plastic today, and I have it covered with a blanket, but it still uses a third of the bed.  These two photos show the difference.  In the first one, Mark and I are leaning against the tailgate and you can see the step ladder to get up to the camper.  The second photo shows the back of the new camper with the built in porch and steps.



This afternoon we went wine tasting.  The Umpqua River region has developed a rather large wine industry.  There are at least 21 wineries with 40 miles of Roseburg.  We only went to two!  :-)



We did see a really dramatic example of forest clear cutting.  I just don't know how a scar like that can ever fully recover.  The slope is so steep and the erosion potential is so great.  I guess somebody thinks it's OK.


We had an excellent dinner at a Brew Pub in Roseburg.  On Friday, Cory is leading us to fish the Umpqua River...........

2 comments:

  1. Dave - Robert and I have so enjoyed reading your blog and following your adventures. It's like being there in the camper with you (although it sounds like the new camper is pretty full now - it appears that change creates strange bedfellows!!!) Have a glass of that wonderful Oregon wine for us and enjoy the rest of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Char,

    Thanks for "riding" along. The ability to share the trip and stay in touch means a lot to me. By the way, I have to admit that I've had more than one glass of Oregon wine. :-)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.