Thursday, September 29, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 35, Thursday 9/29

136 miles and still camped at the KOA in Coarsegold, California.  I took the camper off the truck, and trust me, it made traveling the tight and winding roads of Yosemite much more enjoyable.  The truck was lighter and more maneuverable.


I have two general themes to this post.  One is, 'Oh my God, what a view."  The other is, "Oh my God, what a wimp I am."

The first one first.  Nothing can prepare you for the view.  We have all seen Half Dome and El Capitan on calendars and books.  The photos are always gorgeous.  I knew what to look for.  But, WOW!!  There is something about seeing it in person that takes your breath away.  Maybe it's the smell, or the sense of height, or the chill in the air.  What ever it is, it does something to you.  The best I can do is to let the pictures describe.  These three pictures are of Half Dome from Glacier Point.




This is what the road looked like on the way to Glacier Point.  Don't Blink!!


There were forest fires in the area.  You could smell them and and see the smoke in the distance.  That's smoke, not clouds hovering over the trees.


I drove on a few more miles.  The traffic was was getting more congested.  It was now approaching 11:00 in the morning.  I had gotten a good start by leaving the campground at 7:00.  Anyway, there is a view point called Tunnel View.  The entrance road goes through a very long tunnel and then suddenly opens up to this, El Capitan in the foreground and half Dome in the background.



As I left, I took this picture of my side view mirror.  Note how Half Dome is facing the other way.


The last stop of the day was at stand of Giant Sequoia Tress at Mariposa Grove.  As I got near the grove, a gate keeper told me the parking lot was full and that I would have to go back and take the shuttle bus.  Then she saw Zoey.  Dogs can't ride the shuttle bus.  After Zoey licked her hand a few times, the lady commented that there was probably room for one more vehicle and let us through.  I can always count on Zoey being the chick magnet or social greaser when ever I need it.  :-))


OK, now the "wimpy me" part, and I'll be brief because this post has gone on far too long.  Part A:  The temperature in Yosemite mountains was a pleasant 75.  Back at the campground in the foothills, it was 95.  I was cursing that I did not have air conditioning.  Just about then I remembered that the miners panning for gold and the Oregon Trail pioneers didn't have air conditioning either.

Part B:  I'm walking Zoey around the campground and there are two Class C RV's parked near me.  Two couples with four or five little kids.  One of the moms asks me where is a good place to buy groceries.  Come to find out, these are two couples from Germany in rented RVs.  They are in the US for a month or so visiting National Parks.  Here they are in a strange country traveling with little kids.  Then I remember how Kathy and I took out three boy, ages 5, 7 and 8 for six weeks across the US in a car with no air conditioning, no cruise control, no DVD player and only a tent.

Ah, to be young and free (or foolish) again...........

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Patty gave me the link to your blog. I'm enjoying the wonderful views of my home state, California. Isn't it grand? You're the 21st century John Steinbeck and William Least-Heat Moon rolled into one. Are you going to write a book?
    Carpe Diem! Janice Brown

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.