Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Retirement Road Trip 2011: Day 11, Monday 9/5

0 miles, still camped at Osen's RV Campground.

I took the day off!!  For the first time on this trip, I did nothing, or little to nothing all day.  It was another beautiful day in Montana with afternoon temps in the mid 80's.  It is a very dry heat, so when you are in the shade it is very comfortable.  None of the sticky humidity that we had back home this summer.

Now, I did do a few chores.  I did some banking over the internet. How did we ever travel before the internet?  I did some laundry.  And I put the camper back on the truck in anticipation of leaving Tuesday. I wanted a nap, but somehow I was so busy doing nothing that I never fit one in.  It was a nice catch up day.

Dave and Ann came down off the mountain and set up their tent on a spot near the back of my camper for the night.

The real thrill of the day is when good friend and former colleague Mark Leuthauser and his wife Jeanne showed up.

Mark taught across the hall from me for many, many years and we became good friends.  Mark and I have been in texting contact over the past few weeks.  His daughter Katie just got her first teaching job, and it is in Bickleton, Washington.  Mark and Jeanne drove to Washington to help Katie move.  They are on their way home now, and we discover Sunday night that we are only about six hours apart. So I stayed an extra day in Livingston, which I needed, and Mark and Jeanne drove down Monday to camp overnight right next door to me.  Mark, Jeanne, Dave, Ann and I all went out for dinner and had a great time.  I plan to stop in and see Katie in the next couple of weeks when I'm in the Washington area.

The Wrights and I are going to travel together for the next couple of weeks.  They want to connect with Cory in Oregon too.  Looks like the plan for Tuesday is to head north and east to the Seeley Lake area in Montana.  There are a couple of State Parks in that area that we might set up headquarters for a few days and explore the northwest part of the state.  Dave wants to fish, and I'll try.  There are also a lot of Lewis and Clark Expedition sites in the area that I would like to check out.

Then we'll head west into Idaho and Washington, and finally south into Oregon.

More tomorrow...................

2 comments:

  1. Nice and funny to see Mark and you again, together on the same photo, just a few weeks after our shipping on the St-Laurence :-)
    The landscapes you passed across yesterday are simply splendid! Montana seems to be a so nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thierry, it was a wonderful surprise to see Mark again. We actually talked about how much fun we had on that day on the St. Lawrence. You will have to visit Montana on one of your visits to the United States. There is so much to se here.

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.