Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Tuesday 9/25

322 miles, and camped at the KOA in Arco, Idaho.


Cody, Wyoming to Arco, Idaho
We got an early start today and left the campground in Cody, Wyoming about 7:00.  I wasn't really sure where I would end up tonight but I wanted to head in the direction of Craters of the Moon National Monument in eastern Idaho.  The most direct and picturesque route was through Yellowstone National Park.  I have visited Yellowstone several times, seeing small sections of it each time.  There is so much there to see and experience.  This route would take me past some spots I haven't seen since 1978 (OMG, that's 34 years ago) when Kathy and I took our three sons across the country when they were five, six, and eight.  In fact, here is a picture from that trip taken in Teton National Park, just a few miles south of Yellowstone.  I had considered driving by the Tetons on this trip, but other travelers I've met told me that the smoke from the western forest fires was so great that it was hard to enjoy, much less see the mountains.


Yellowstone is an eclectic mix of scenes, ecology, and geology.  There is so much to see and learn, you need to spend days here to capture it.  I'll just add some photos of today's trip and let the captions explain them.  The photos are in chronologic order as I traveled today.

Buffalo Bill Reservoir

Exercise break in the Shoshone National Forest where dogs are allowed on the trails.

Fall colors in the Shoshone National Forest

East Entrance of Yellowstone National Park.

Sylvan Lake in Yellowstone National Park.

Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Upper Falls of the Yellowstone River in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

Forest regrowth from the extensive 1988 forest fires.

Steam vent in the Norris Geyser Basin

Hot mineral pool in the Norris Geyser Basin


Ten second video of a steam vent.

Madison River near the West Entrance of Yellowstone National Park.

On Wednesday Zoey and I are off to explore Craters of the Moon National Monument.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.