Monday, September 10, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Sunday 9/9

452 miles: camped at the home of Mary Ann Sipher and Eric Freedman


I left Matt and Jaime's right at 9:00 AM.  I took Route 50 West to Parkersburg, WV and on to Athens, Ohio. There I picked up 33 North to Columbus, Ohio.  I took the I-270 Beltway around the city and connected with 23 North to Findlay, then I-75 to Toledo, and then back on 23 North to Brighton, Michigan.  From there, I-96 West to East Lansing.  The routes 50, 33 and 23 were mostly four lane expressways.  That is, they are divided four lane roads, but with the occasional traffic light and cross roads.  There are no entrance and exit ramps.  The only reason I mention this is because in my home area of Northern NY there is a huge controversy over how to best improve safety and traffic flow on the congested US Route 11 that connects Watertown to Vermont at Rouses Point.  Some want a new Interstate called I-98 built, while others want Route 11 to be widened, improved and turned into an expressway.  I don't know what the best solution is, but I can tell you that the traffic flow on the expressways in this heavily populated area seemed to work very well, even with the occasional traffic lights.


The flatlands of Ohio and Michigan are quite a contrast from the hills of West Virginia.   I got to see firsthand the effects of the midwest drought.  The corn in Ohio is SHORT, BROWN, and DRY!!  The drought has affected other crops as well, and like New York, apple prices in Michigan have sky rocketed.


I arrived at my sister Mary Ann and Eric's place about 5:00 PM.  After dinner, another sister, Amy and her husband Steve stopped by for dessert.  On Monday, Mary Ann, Eric and I are planning to visit the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.