Sunday, September 16, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Saturday 9/15

I'm off to find the grave site of Jacob Sipher today.  Jacob is the brother of my great-great grandfather, Levi Sipher.  Jacob was born in 1828, died in 1878 and is buried in the Oakwood Cemetery in Weyauwega, about 30 miles from Amherst.  I went to the old part of the cemetery and started walking the rows.  As luck would have it, I soon found the headstone.  But it was not what I expected.  Instead of a weathered headstone, it was a bright, white, relatively new headstone.  There were several others in the cemetery of the same design and all were Civil War veterans.  I can only assume they are part of project to honor the veterans.


There are supposed to be some other Sipher relatives buried in the cemetery, but I could not find any other headstones.  However, the area around Jacob's stone is vacant, so perhaps there are other relatives buried there in unmarked graves.


After getting back to Dave and Ann's we spent the rest of the day planning our Mississippi River adventure.  I barbecued chicken for dinner using the famous Cornell (sometimes called State Fair) marinade.

Sunday Zoey and I are back on the road and off to explore a section of the Mississippi River.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.