Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Road Trip 2012: Prologue, 9/5/12

Zoey and I have been busy this summer.  We did a lot of camping with friends and family, spending time at both Cranberry Lake State Park and Blake Reservoir on the Raquette River.  We attended two family reunions.  I remodeled the deck on the back of my house, which turned out to be more work than I expected.  I attended the New York State Fair for the first time in years.  I spent a fabulous day on the St. Lawrence River with retired teaching buddies Mark Leuthauser and Leslie Sutter.  I also helped my son Justin  and his family move from the Lake George area to Canton, NY because Justin just accepted a job at St. Lawrence University.  Oh, by the way, for those who don't know Zoey, my blonde and petite side kick is a six year old Golden Retriever.  :-)


But its time to get back on the road again.  The ultimate goal is to to visit son Cory in Oregon sometime in early October, with stops to see other friends and family along the way.  While my destination is the same as the 2011 trip, I have different routes and stops planned this time.  I will visit son Matt and family in West Virginia first.  Then a sister in Michigan.  A stop with long time friends in Wisconsin follows.  Next I'll catch up with a couple of former students, one in Boise, Idaho and another in Bickleton, Washington.  I'd like to visit Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Parks in Washington.  Then I'll catch up with son Cory in Oregon and hang out there for a bit.  As I head back East, I have friends to visit in Fort Collins, Colorado.  I have a long time friend and college roommate in Iowa that I'd like to see and then a stop at Matt's again in West Virginia as the last stop before home.  So you can see, this trip is just a matter of connecting the dots on the map.  Of course, there will be unplanned stops and destinations that always add to the adventure.  What's the old adage, "Its not the destination, but the journey."  Some of my best travel memories are from the mishaps and wrong turns.

So, here we are, all set and ready to roll.  First stop, West Virginia.  Stay tuned.............


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.