Monday, August 17, 2009

Day: 19: 8/17/09 - camped in Bismarck, ND

414 miles: Camped at Bismark KOA, Bismarck, ND

Well, today started off on the wrong foot, or so it seemed. I was awakened by the the truck shaking because of the high winds. The rain was beating down so hard that Zoey went out to do her thing for a total of only 30 seconds, the outside temperature was 48, and THE DAMN SHOWERS ONLY HAD COLD WATER!!! So I cooked a warm breakfast of sausage and scrambled eggs, one of my few specialties. We left about 9:00 and headed to the Northern Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. There is also a South Unit 70 miles to the south.

The Park is located on Rt. 85, south of Williston. Got there about 10:00. As I checked in, I asked about getting a a Senior Park Pass. For $10 this allows you unlimited entry to all National Parks for the rest of your life. The young lady at the check in looked at me and asked me if I realized you had to be 62 to get this pass. I showed her my proof, and told her that she had just made my day. Unfortunately, she is probably trained to flatter every "senior" that way. :-)

By now the weather had cleared and the sun was starting to show. But the temperature never got above 65 all day. There is a 14 mile scenic drive that we took. By the time we stopped at every pullout and took dozens of photos, nearly 4 hours had passed. The Park incorporates examples of both grassland and badlands topography. The badlands portion are where severe erosion has occurred over time, and reveal wonderful layers of sediment that show different colors and textures. The grasslands ecosystem supports a buffalo herd, along with deer and antelope. In fact, the buffalo herd turned into a temporary road block, as you can see in the photo. You can also see the grasslands in the background and get an idea of how productive they are.

Zoey has been a great companion. She loves to ride, and perks up at every pullout hoping that she can get out. The trouble is that the National Parks are very fussy about not allowing dogs on the trails. So we couldn't do any hiking together.

After finishing our time at the North Unit of the Park, we headed south again on Rt. 85. My intention was to visit the South Unit as well, where the entrance is on Interstate 94, but time was catching up with us. So, we passed on the South Park and headed east when we hit the Interstate. Finally stopped in Bismarck about 7:00 PM.

Tuesday we are off to De Smet, SD. My grandfather John Sipher's grandmother (that's a bunch of greats, but I'm not sure how many) is buried there. I hope to find the headstone. Then I plan to spend Wednesday night with longtime friends and former high school classmates, Steve and Jane Randall at their place in Iowa.

I have to end on a bittersweet note. I've been pondering what to say and how to say it. I know friends and family are reading, but this is also my journal and my memories of this trip. So, here goes. Today, August 17, is the wedding anniversary of Kathy and I. There were times today when I was really bothered by the fact that Kathy was not with me and seeing the things I was seeing. But I also know that time passes and life goes on. I have learned that I can be alone and make decisions by myself. I have joked with many of you that for 40 years I didn't have to make any decisions and that the success of our marriage was two words; "yes dear." After almost 3 weeks on the road, I can honestly say that I am a more confident and independent person. But remember, I also have a young, petite, and blond companion helping me. So I have added this last photo to show you my most common view out the side mirror.

That's all for now..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.