Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 14: 8/12/09: West Glacier, MT

465 miles: camped in West Glacier, MT

Yup, I finally made it to Glacier. I had sunshine all the way except the last half hour. And then the skies opened up. Not a real heavy rain, but just enough to be miserable. Fortunately setting up the truck camper is a breeze. Cory was already here, sitting under a tarp reading. It didn't take long for Cory and I and the 2 dogs to be under cover in the camper. The sky cleared some later in the evening so we could spend some time around the campfire.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm sure some want to know if I really ot up early to check on the meteor shower. The answer is yes. I was up at 3:30 AM and went out and watched for 10 minutes or so. I only saw one, but it was awesome. The streak stretched across the entire sky. I just read that some astronomers feel that tonight (Wednesday night) will be better watching. Not me. I'm crashing in bed tonight.

I left Livingston about 6:30 this morning. Headed west on I90. Google maps said to go all the way to Missoula, and then head north. But the Garmin GPS had different ideas. It gave me a different route that involved some roads off the more common path. So I trusted it. Boy, am I glad I did. The scenery was spectacular. Everything from rolling plains, to valley farmland, to snow covered montains. It was all beautiful. I pulled into Glacier Campground about 2:00 this afternoon in the rain.

Thursday's activity will be to explore some of the surrounding National Forest Land. The dogs need to get out and run. Cory has a 3 year old black lab. Dogs are not allowed on any of the hiking trails in Glacier, so our hiking will be in the surrounding forest land. Friday, the weather is supposed to brighten, so we will drive the famous Going to the Sun Highway, which is noted for it's spectacular scenery. That will be an all day excursion by the time you go across the park and back.

Well, I'm really tired. See ya.......

2 comments:

  1. Did Zoey or Tyler take that first picture? :) I love reading your posts. Enjoy your hikes tomorrow with the dogs and please tell Cory I said hello.

    ..Jaci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave
    While we have note posted, we have followed your every move. Ray says you will find the Going to the Sun Highway spectacular - I have never seen it, but he often talks about his trip there. I had to return to work last week so fitting in everything is more difficult. With the time difference between NY and Glacier, You and Ray are getting up at the same time! Take care and we'll do a better job of leaving you notes.
    Lauren and Ray
    p.s. Say hi to Cory for us.

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.