Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Road Trip 2013: Amherst, WI to Bismarck, ND

Monday, September 1st:  656 miles and camped at the KOA in Bismarck, North Dakota



This was definitely not a meandering day.  I need to be in Mt. Shasta, California by Thursday evening, and I have four days to do it.  I chewed up a lot of miles today, almost all of it on interstates.  The speed limit was 70 across most of Minnesota and hit 75 in North Dakota.  I tried to keep in in the 70 to 72 range to get better mileage, but when EVERY vehicle on the road, including tractor trailers, passed you, it gets discouraging.  I eventually gave up and set the cruise at 75, and then only most of the vehicles passed me.  :-)

Traveling the Interstate Highway System gives you a very distorted view of the country side.  All of the motels, gas stations, and bill boards are so generic.  What little farming I could see involved fields of corn, sunflowers, milo, and wheat.  I saw some sweet corn being mechanically being picked in Wisconsin (but that was on a two lane road) and some wheat stubble being tilled by huge tractors in North Dakota.  I really miss the view from the two lane roads that I spent so much time on last year.  But then again, as I said in my first post, this trip was less about wandering and more about getting from point A to point B, and the interstate highways allow you to do that in a hurry.

Tuesday Zoey and I head to Livingston, Montana..........


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.