Monday, August 26, 2013

Road Trip 2013: WV to Summit Lake SP

371 miles today and camped at Summit Lake State Park, New Castle, Indiana.


Site B31 at Summit Lake SP


I left Matt and Jamie's about 8:00 AM.  Today I actually meandered a bit.  I was surfing around with google maps, and I came across this park called Serpent Mound.  Low and behold, after a quick search, I discovered it is the remains of some prehistoric cultures and was built somewhere around 1070 AD, or the more politically correct term, I have learned, is CE.  Supposedly this mound is the largest serpent effigy in the world.



Look closely to see the serpent.  The mound varies form one to three feet high.
The asphalt walking path is to keep visitors from walking on the mounds and destroying them.

I ended the day at Summit Lake State Park.  I actually camped here for one day back in 2009, and would you believe, my name was still in their computer system.

Sunset over a bay at Summit Lake State Park

Tuesday I hope to end the day in Eldridge, Iowa at the home of high school and college friend, Steve Randall.  More later...................

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.