Thursday, August 29, 2013

Road Trip 2013: Eldridge, Iowa to Amherst, Wisconsin

278 miles.  Camped in the driveway of long time friends, Dave and Ann Wright, Amherst, Wisconsin.

Eldridge, Iowa to Amherst, Wisconsin

The home and Dave and Ann Wright, Amherst, Wisconsin

I left Eldridge about 9:00 AM.  Like yesterday, I didn't wander today.  I wanted to get to Amherst as soon as possible, so I took the four lane roads.  They are not as scenic, but they do get you there the fastest.  I arrived at the Wright home about 2:30.  I last visited them in January when Zoey and I were here for several days and, among other things, went ice fishing.

About 5:00 we packed up and went for a pot luck picnic at nearby Sunset Lake.  For over 30 years, a group of folks have been gathering here every Wednesday for a pot luck dinner.  Sometimes the crowd is only 10 or 12, while at other times there will be 30 or 40 people there.  Tonight, there was a huge crowd.  Maybe it was the hot weather, or maybe it was the last Wednesday of summer before Labor Day.  I have met some of the crew in the past, and it was fun catching up with them.  It was a great evening.

Pot luck picnic on the beach at Sunset Lake.

Sunset on Sunset Lake.

I'm going to hang out in Amherst over the Labor Day weekend.  On Monday I'll start my mad, four day dash to Mt. Shasta, California.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.