Sunday, August 21, 2011

Retirement Road trip 2011: Prologue


The school year starts September 1st.   But instead of Potsdam, NY, I will be in or near Livingston, Montana.  For the first time in 21 years I will not be attending the Staff Development Days that precede the first day of classes with students.  Darn.    ;-)

So what am I going to do instead of teaching?    I don't really know yet.  I've been fine tuning my bucket list.  To begin, I'm taking a ten-week, 12,000 mile road trip this Fall.  That's why I'll be in Montana on the first day of school.  My faithful blonde and petite companion is traveling with me again.  However, she is nearing five and is much more mature than the previous trip.  Zoey is a beautiful Golden Retriever who loves to travel.

I have a truck camper that I absolutely enjoy.  It is compact and easy to maintain.  And unlike my larger fifth wheel camper, finding a place to park or camp is never a problem.  It is the perfect size for Zoey and me.

My plan is to leave Gouverneur on Friday August 26 with my first stop in West Virginia.  My son Matt and his wife Jaime just gave birth to their second child.  I can't wait to see her and hold her on the 26th.  After a short visit, I'm heading west.  I eventually plan to catch up with son Cory in Oregon and my sister Karen in California.  I have other friends and relatives around the country I hope to connect with also.  The estimated time of arrival back in Gouverneur is about November 1st. Follow along and I'll keep you posted on how the trip goes.

It's when I am back home in November that the real "retirement thing" will kick in.  How am I going to fill the time?  Well, time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Just went through Gouverneur today, your departure day. How exciting this trip will be. Have a great and safe trip!

    ReplyDelete

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.