Sunday, February 27, 2011

Winter Break 2011: Prologue

Old Man Winter finally got to me! We have been having what many call an "Old Fashion Winter" in Northern New York, reminiscent of the winters of the '70's. A 33 below zero in January and having to plow my driveway more times than I like to remember has pushed me over the edge. I'm yearning for some warmth and besides, I need to start practicing the life of a soon to be retiree. :-)


My friend Wendy and I started looking at ideas for Winter Break travel. Somethingwarm was very appealing. Also, her parents winter in St. George Island on the Gulf Coast of Florida. A surprise visit to them seemed like nice idea as well. I wanted to camp so I went online and made reservations at the State Park on St. George Island for four nights. My original plan was to take the larger 5th wheel camper, but the amount of snow in my driveway and the pending snowy forecasts steered me in the direction of taking the smaller and more maneuverable truck camper. Now, traveling in a truck camper is not for the faint of heart. Mine is SMALL!! It is a 7 foot x 12 foot box on the back of a truck. Many tents are larger. This particular camper has no bathroom. It does has a refrigerator and a two burner stove. Even more important, it has an excellent Queen size bed. So while Zoey (my petite and blonde Golden Retriever) and I had traveled to Montana for 32 days a couple years ago, this time we had to fit another adult in and still manage to get along with each other.

Wendy and I left Gouverneur Saturday morning, the 19th, to a driving snow and wind storm. It was white knuckle driving all the way down Interstate 81. By the time we reached the PA border, the snow ceased, but the high winds held on. We counted 23 cars in the ditch off 81 between home and the PA border. We pulled in to a KOA in Broadway, VA about 8:30 and in the dark. There was no snow, but the temperature was 20 degrees when we woke Sunday morning. We got started about 8:30 and made to to another KOA, this time in Forsyth, Georgia, and this time in the daylight. Also, it was a warm 65 degrees!! This KOA was a busy one right Interstate 75. After a relatively short drive of six hours on Monday, we drove onto St. George Island about 1:30 Monday afternoon to sunshine and 70 degree ocean air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.