Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Times They Are a-Changing

As the title of the Bob Dylan song says, the times they are a-changing. I "officially" retired from teaching January 31st, 2011. However, after a mandatory one day of retirement, I am back to work as a long term substitute for myself until the end of the school year on June 24th. Then I'm retired from teaching for good. I've jokingly told friends that I farmed for 21 years, then taught for 21 years, now I have to find something else to do for the next 21 years. I'll be 85 then, and I'll start to think about my fourth 21 year career when that time comes. :-)

It has been almost two years since Kathy, my wife and partner of over 40 years, died. I have recovered very well. I think that is just how human nature works. I have learned to get by on my own. I have learned how to look back over the thousands of photos of us and smile and laugh.  We humans are social creatures. We aren't meant to operate alone.

I have several projects to finish up before my teaching career ends. I will make maple syrup with my students one more time. I have been asked to help chaperone the Potsdam High School students when they travel to France for two weeks in April. I chaperoned the trip last year as well. You can check back on some of the previous blog posts to learn about that trip. The art teacher and I have a landscaping project with our students to finish before the school year ends. Finally, I have to clean out 21 years of personal stuff and old student work from my classroom. That may be the hardest project of all. As I go through boxes and piles, I tend to get bogged down reading old student papers and projects. There are so many old memories that make me smile.

But, I am also smiling about the prospect a different life next year. I want to read more. I want to learn more about solar energy and other sustainable living projects. I want to see my grandchildren more. I want to help my sons with remodeling projects on their homes. I want to keep abreast of the changing computer and phone technology. I want to visit friends in Maine and Wisconsin. I want to travel and camp during the off season when the crowds are smaller. I want to downhill ski more.

Gee, it's starting to look like my third career will be working on my "I want to" list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.