Thursday, April 15, 2010

Monday, April 12


Today is sunny, but colder. It's too cold to be called fresh, according to Jean. "This is cold," he says. I don't have a thermometer, but I'd guess it's in the low 50's F. As the day progresses the temperature rises into the low to mid 60's. Still better that Potsdam, where I heard they had a hard frost last night with a 29 degree temperature as the low.

The entire group, both French and American students, gather at the Châteaux St. Jean this morning. It is the first time everyone has been together since Friday afternoon when we arrived in Nogent. For two full days now the Americans have been spending family time in the French homes. The students have great stories to tell. One went to a soccer match in Paris where over 40,000 fans were there. Another went to Versailles. And of course there is Ryan's story of the fire and hospital. Everyone had a great time exchanging stories. The French and American students are really bonding. It is so much fun watching them hang out, tell stories, and just be kids.

About two hours was spent touring and exploring the Châteaux St. Jean. A dry moat and high stone wall surround the entire complex. The original part goes back to the time of William the Conqueror in 1066. The structure was built as a fort for defense purposes. The walls are stone over three feet thick. Tiny slits were built into the wall to shoot arrows from. About fifty people probably lived in the fort. There was a well, chimneys and places for grain storage all located inside. Interestingly, we were told that the original was made of animal skins. Apparently the skins would not burn if attacked by fire arrows, while wood roofs would. About three hundred years later, the fort was added on to. The additions, while still stone, had thinner walls, and more windows. More recently some of the rooms and floors have been converted to a museum displaying art, sculpture, and old cooking and farm equipment.

After a picnic lunch, the students set off on a scavenger hunt. Carol Reed had a list of about twenty spots around the town of Nogent that the students were supposed to find and have their picture taken in from of. I walked with Carol Reed and Martha Chisolm, Carol being the retired French teacher from Canton and Martha the current teacher. I learned a lot from them. Off and on throughout the afternoon we would run into groups of students. Most of the stores in France are closed on both Sunday and Monday, which surprised me. Grocery stores were open, but most others (not all) were closed. The last stop on the scavenger hunt was the high school, where everyone gathered about 4:30.

I have been looking for a wifi hot spot to upload this blog and some photos. I was told that McDonalds was probably the best bet. Jean took me to the local one, and sure enough they had internet access. Would you believe that the menu is almost identical to the McDonalds in Potsdam? The coffee however, is much stronger. Jean left me there while he went shopping. I sipped coffee and worked on the blog. I didn't get everything uploaded exactly the way I wanted, but I got a start. The next few days look very busy, so I'm not sure when I'll get back to upload more.

I've only been here for four days, but I'm becoming quite comfortable. Jean and Catherine are wonderful hosts. We have compared teaching stories, vacation stories, retirement plans, stories of our youth, politics, and environmental issues. This has been a true immersion into the French culture. I have learned so much and look forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy and appreciate feedback. Please feel free to add your name to make it more personal. Thank you for checking in.